This year, the annual fundraising auction will take place online, making it possible to bid on prize wines – and support a worthy cause – from wherever you are.
If lockdown saw you digging deep into your fine-wine collection, here’s your chance to restock – and help save lives on South African waters at the same time. This year, the annual Rotary Wine Auction will take place online, offering wine lovers and NSRI supporters the opportunity to bid for prestigious and award-winning South African wines without leaving home. The proceeds of the auction will fund a JetRib rescue craft for Station 42 (Kleinmond).Rotary’s long and valued friendship with the NSRI
Rotary and the NSRI have enjoyed a long and fruitful friendship over the years. The generous assistance of Rotary Clubs – both across South Africa and internationally – has enabled the NSRI to fulfill a number of needs at various rescue bases.The annual Rotary Wine Auction stands out as having made one of the greatest contributions towards the NSRI. This event has traditionally been hosted by the Rotary Clubs of Table Bay and Newlands with the Rotary Club of Knights Pendragon coming on board to host the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2016 parallel Rotary Wine Auctions in Gauteng. The Rotary Club of Hermanus hosted its first auction in 2019.Rotary Wine Auctions have been raising funds for worthy causes for more than 24 years, with almost all of the auctions nominating Sea Rescue as a sole beneficiary. Between 1998 and 2019, Rotary Wine Auctions have funded rescue craft and vehicles, the building of rescue bases, and the WaterSafety Education programme.The Spirit of Rotary on South African waters
Over and above the Rotary Wine Auction, the relationship between Rotary and the NSRI has resulted in the sponsorship of a number of life-saving NSRI vessels and vehicles.
How to take part in the 2020 Rotary Wine AuctionThis year’s auction will take place online on 14 October 2020 from 10am to 2.30pm.
- Spirit of Rotary, an 11.9m all-weather rescue craft, was donated to Staton 8 (Hout Bay) by Rotary District 235. She was built in Cape Town in 1979, and in 1994 underwent a major refit that streamlined her operational functions.
- Spirit of Rotary Table Bay, a 5.79m rescue craft, launched from the Bakoven base in 1997 thanks to Rotary’s assistance.
- A 4x4 rescue vehicle for Station 3 (Table Bay) was partly sponsored by the Table Bay Rotary Club.
- Spirit of Rotary Blouberg, a 5.5m rigid inflatable, was put into service in June 2001.
- Spirit of Rotary II, an 8m rescue craft, was in service at Station 4 (Mykonos) This vessel has since been decommissioned.
- Registration costs R1 000 and will open on Monday 12 October 2020 at 8am.
- To register, pay your registration fee and email your proof of payment to email@example.com
- EFT details:
National Sea Rescue Institute of South Africa NPCAccount number: 1382480607ABSA, HeerengrachtAccount type: Growing Business AccBranch name: CAPE TOWNBranch number: 632005