Vaughn Seconds, NSRI Strandfontein station commander, said:At 14h58, Monday, 24th September, NSRI Strandfontein duty crew were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) following reports of a drowning in progress at Monwabisi Beach.The sea rescue craft I&J Rescuer II was launched and our NSRI rescue vehicle, Marine Law Enforcement, WC Government Health EMS, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services dive unit, the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter and the SA Police Services and local lifeguards responded.On arrival on the scene a search commenced for a person missing in the surf reported to be a local 29 year old male.During the search it was suspected from eye-witness accounts that another (a second male) may also have disappeared in the surf at the same location.Despite an extensive air, sea and shoreline search no sign of the missing person or missing persons have been found and Police have opened an investigation.A Police Dive Unit are tasked in an ongoing search operation.MILNERTON LAGOON BEACH:
Quentin Botha, NSRI Table Bay station commander, said:At 15h52, Monday, 24th September, NSRI Table Bay and NSRI Melkbosstrand duty crews were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) following reports of a drowning in progress at Milnerton Lagoon Beach.A local surfer, Chris Poseman, had noticed two young men in the water off-shore of the Lagoon Mouth and appearing to be in difficulty in the surfline.Chris launched into the surf swimming towards the man closest to the shoreline, who was appearing to indicate to be in difficulty, in an attempt to try to rescue the man but before he could reach him the man disappeared beneath the surf.The second male, a 22 year old male, from Belhar, who was further out to sea at the time, was able to get to shore after being assisted by 2 surfers who went to his aid.The 2 surfers had been alerted by members of the public on the beach and they had reached the second man (the 22 year old) and they assisted him safely to shore using a surfboard.The 22 year old male, rescued from the water by surfers, was not injured.NSRI Table Bay launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Day and NSRI Melkbosstrand launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Brenda and their NSRI rescue runner and NSRI rescue vehicles from both sea rescue stations responded together with Marine Law Enforcement, WC Government Health EMS, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services dive unit, the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter and the SA Police Services and local lifeguards responded.On arrival on the scene a search commenced for a 20 year old male, from Belhar, missing in the surf.The search area, in strong rip currents and in strong sea currents, extended between Milnerton Lagoon Beach and Milnerton Beach at Woodbridge Island.Despite an extensive air, sea and shoreline search no sign of the missing 20 year old man has been found and Police have opened an investigation.Police are assisting with family support.A Police Dive Unit are tasked in an ongoing search operation.NSRI commend the local surfer Chris Poseman and the unidentified surfers who went to the aid of the 2 men in difficulty in the surf.RICHARDS BAY:
Norman Rautenbach, NSRI Richards Bay duty coxswain, said:At 09h52, Monday, 24th September, NSRI Richards Bay duty crew launched the sea rescue Spirit of Round Table II following a request for medical assistance from the LPG Gas tanker Continental, that was heading towards Richards Bay at the time, and at that stage 10 nautical miles from shore, reporting a Scandinavian crewman suffering acute stomach pains.On arrival on the scene, 4 nautical miles off-shore of the Port of Richards Bay, an NSRI paramedic and an NSRI maritime extraction team was put aboard the ship.The patient was stabilised and transferred onto the sea rescue craft using the ships Man Basket and the patient, accompanied by an interpreter, was brought to our sea rescue base aboard our sea rescue craft and in the care of our NSRI paramedic, and he has been transported to hospital by Ice Medical ambulance services in a stable condition for further treatment. NATIONAL:Full Moon Spring Tide Safety Alert:NSRI are urging the public to be cautious around the coastline from today and until after the coming weekend (27 and 28 September), as the Full Moon Spring Tide, that peaks on Tuesday, 25th September, has begun to increase in intensity as it builds towards the Spring Tide peak.The full moon Spring Tide will affect the coastline from today, peaking on 25th September, and lasting until after the weekend of the 27th, 28th September.Bathers, anglers, coastal hikers and beach strollers are urged to be cautious and to heed the safety alert and to be aware of the Spring Tide phenomenon.Bathers should only go to beaches where and when lifeguards are on duty and swim within the safe demarcated swimming zones that lifeguards post using their red and yellow flags.
NSRI urge parents to ensure that their children have responsible adult supervision around inland and coastal waters.Spring Tide occurs at the full moon and again at the new moon and brings with it a higher than normal high tide, a lower than normal low tide and stronger than normal rip currents.TO REPORT A SEA RESCUE EMERGENCY DIAL 112 FROM A CELLPHONE