Donate Shop Call for Help Now Find a Base


087 094 9774
0702 Photo taken from the EC Government Health EMS helicopter of the yacht at sea off Bashee and a screen shot map of the position provided.0703 Photo's by NSRI East London: The yacht after she was abandoned0701 0704 Paramedics medically assessing the two men at NSRI East London base.Geoff McGregor, NSRI East London station commander, said:At 01h30, Saturday, 28th January, NSRI East London were placed on alert by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) following a VHF radio request for assistance, intercepted by Telkom Maritime Radio Services, from the 30 foot yacht Sticky Fingers. The 2 crew onboard, Craig Rosen, 53, from Durban and Johan Joubert, 44, from Mossel Bay were delivering the yacht from Durban to Mossel Bay for the owner.They reported heavy weather, depleted fuel reserves, and confirmed to be under sail, safe, but requesting a tow.TNPA East London Port Control, after plotting their position to be some 80 nautical miles North East of East London, requested that they remain under sail and the matter to be re-evaluated at sunrise.NSRI East London, East London Port Control and Telkom Maritime Radio Services monitored the yacht through the night and NSRI East London duty crew remained on alert and prepared to launch at any time.Craig told us later that, at that, stage they were already tired. They ran out of fuel off Port Edward and had sailed comfortably in 2 meter swells and a 15 knot North Easterly wind to where they believed they were not far from East London. They then turned around and sailed with the wind which had changed to a Southerly, picking up to 30 knots and a sea swell of up to 7 meters, which forced them to remain awake and to sail through the rough seas.They headed towards Bashee, on the Transkei coast, hoping to find calmer waters and off Bashee Point, but for only a few minutes they found flat, calm, water before the swell picked up to 7 meters with a 15 knot wind.At sunrise TNPA East London Port Control requested the NSRI East London duty crew to launch to go to assist the yacht after sea conditions had deteriorated.The NSRI East London sea rescue craft Spirit of Lotto, crewed by coxswain Ian Reid, and crew Kevin Pirzenphal, Wynand Roets and Declan Winn, was launched at 09h30. In our Sea Rescue base control room Geoff McGregor, Cathrine Prentis, Leonard Wallace (who is also an EC Government Health EMS rescue paramedic) and Charissa Roets prepared for a long day ahead.After coordinates provided by the crew of Sticky Fingers appeared not to correspond with where we thought that they may be - the EC Government Health EMS dispatched an EMS rescue helicopter from Umtata. Following a search the helicopter crew found them off Bashee on the Transkei Coast. Our sea rescue craft were 1 hour away from their position.Our sea rescue craft rendezvoused with the yacht at around 13h30 in heavy weather, a 7 meter swell and strong winds and a towline was rigged.Expected back at Port at around 01h00, the tow effort had begun.Craig and Johan remained at the helm of their yacht, exhausted and riding out the tow effort with 5 meter swells breaking over the yacht. Some 40 nautical miles into the tow effort (and by this stage off the Kei River Mouth), their cabin hatch kept banging open and closed. Johan was sent forward to secure the hatch when he noticed that their cabin had filled with water.Bailing water proved fruitless and they summoned the sea rescue craft to report that their yacht was sinking.Faced with the heavy sea swells, the yacht already half under water and heavy laden from water intake, our Coxswain Ian Reid made the difficult decision to request the crew of Sticky Fingers to abandon ship.The men complied, having no time to take personal possessions. The yacht now floundering and lying low in the water and at risk of being capsized by swells which were breaking over the yacht. They were both taken safely aboard the sea rescue craft where they were treated for exhaustion and for early stages of hypothermia. Craig suffering a sprained ankle which was strapped.The two men went below decks on the rescue boat and, wrapped in thermal blankets, they slept.The sea rescue craft remained at the yacht for some time. Then a large wave (estimated to be between 9 and 10 meters) swept over the yacht. The yacht was now lying three quarters deep in the water with the bow completely submerged. The sea rescue craft departed the scene and it is suspected that the yacht will sink.An EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) had been activated by Craig and Johan and positioned in the cabin for Maritime Authorities to track the yacht if she remains semi-submerged and if she continues to drift.The sea rescue craft arrived at our sea rescue station at 23h30 where they were met by the NSRI shore crew and an an EC Government Health EMS ambulance that had been summoned.Paramedics medically assessed the two men and, apart from the sprained ankle to Craig's right ankle, they were declared fit and they stayed at our rescue base overnight and left this morning to fly home.Craig and Johan have expressed their commendations to the NSRI crew for their rescue saying what a fantastic job they did in trying to save the yacht and for their safe rescue.The owner will evaluate his options but at this stage a salvage effort is not being considered.Telkom Maritime Radio Services and MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) will track the EPIRB and broadcast Maritime Safety messages warning ships in the area of the semi submerged yacht although the yacht is expected to sink completely.-ENDS- TO REPORT A SEA RESCUE EMERGENCY DIAL 112 FROM A CELLPHONEEL
Next Article

3 men rescued from capsized boat - Strand. Patient critical following non-fatal drowning accident - Muizenberg:

Read More

You may also like

NSRI Melkbosstrand
RESCUES  | Published: 21 July 2024

An angler missing after reportedly being swept off rocks by a wave

Terence Lawson, NSRI Melkbosstrand duty coxswain, said: At 15h02, Saturday, 20 July, NSRI Melkbosstrand duty crew and the CoCT (City of Cape Town) water rescue network was activated following eyewitness reports of a fisherman washed off rocks at Small Bay, Bloubergstrand. ...

AGM Web 2024
AWARDS  | Published: 19 July 2024

Celebrating remarkable acts of bravery and service at the 2024 NSRI AGM & Awards Evening

On Friday, July 19, the NSRI held its 57th Annual Awards Evening and AGM at the Capital Zimbali in Ballito. This event was a heartfelt celebration of our devoted volunteers and other courageous individuals who selflessly risk their lives to ...

Stn 5 Durban med evac
RESCUES  | Published: 18 July 2024

A Filipino injured male medically evacuated off a ship

Roy Wienand, NSRI Durban station commander, said: At 17h00, Tuesday, 16 July, NSRI Durban duty crew and Netcare 911 ambulance services, were alerted to prepare our NSRI rescue craft, MEX (Maritime Extrication) crew and Netcare 911 rescue paramedics, following a ...