At around 13h00 today, Monday, 18th August, NSRI Durban took over the tow of CARPE DIEM and have begun towing the yacht to destination Port of Durban.
At this stage progress is 6 knots but favourable expected weather may see the effort speed-ed up and we estimate they will arrive in Port at around 02h00, Tuesday, 19th August but the estimated arrival time may change depending on weather and sea conditions.
The two sailors aboard the yacht are safe and well.
NSRI Shelly Beach sea rescue craft has returned to base and the NSRI Port Edward crew that assisted on the NSRI Shelly Beach sea rescue craft are returning to their home base.
NSRI East London did not launch after the decision was taken for NSRI Durban’s sea rescue craft EIKOS RESCUER II to tow the yacht to Durban.
At 01h55, Monday, 18th August, NSRI Port Edward volunteer sea rescue duty crew were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority following a request for assistance from the 30 foot yacht CARPE DIEM, sailing from Durban to East London, with two men, aged in their 70’s, reporting a damaged rudder and unable to sail further, 20 nautical miles off-shore of Port Edward.
NSRI Port Edward volunteer sea rescue duty crew summoned the assistance of NSRI Shelly Beach for the use of the NSRI Shelly Beach larger sea rescue craft SPIRIT OF DAWN and NSRI Port Edward supplied a sea rescue coxswain and crew to join NSRI Shelly Beach crew and launched the sea rescue craft SPIRIT OF DAWN from Shelly Beach and responded to rendezvous with the yacht.
Failed communications from the yacht required a joint effort by NSRI and MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) and assisted by Telkom Maritime Radio Services to plot the yachts estimated position and on arrival on-scene, some 20 nautical miles off-shore of Port Edward, following a brief search, the yacht was located and taken under tow by NSRI at around 05h00 this morning.
The yacht is being towed towards Port Edward and NSRI Durban activated at 05h06 to launch the NSRI Durban sea rescue craft EIKOS RESCUER II and on arrival on-scene (estimated to be at around lunch time today) NSRI Durban will take over the tow.
NSRI East London has been placed on alert and it remains undecided if NSRI Durban will tow the yacht back to Durban or if NSRI East London are going to launch and take over the tow from NSRI Durban and then the yacht will be towed to East London.
Both men on board CARPE DIEM are safe.
Updates to follow.
Pictures are available on Sea Rescues’ Flickr page.