Donate Call for Help Now Find a Base

NSRI EMERGENCY
OPERATION CENTRE (EOC)

087 094 9774
MONWABISI:On Wednesday, 26th September, the SA Police Services confirmed that a Police Dive Unit recovered a body of a male at Monwabisi, believed to be that of a 29 year old male that succumbed to the elements in a drowning accident on Monday, 24th September.Formal identification is being arranged by the SA Police Services and the body of the man recovered was taken into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services and Police have opened an inquest docket.See original media statement ....MONWABISI:Vaughn Seconds, NSRI Strandfontein station commander, said:At 14h58, Monday, 24th September, NSRI Strandfontein duty crew were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) following reports of a drowning in progress at Monwabisi Beach.The sea rescue craft I&J Rescuer II was launched and our NSRI rescue vehicle, Marine Law Enforcement, WC Government Health EMS, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services dive unit, the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter and the SA Police Services and local lifeguards responded.On arrival on the scene a search commenced for a person missing in the surf reported to be a local 29 year old male.During the search it was suspected from eye-witness accounts that another (a second male) may also have disappeared in the surf at the same location.Despite an extensive air, sea and shoreline search no sign of the missing person or missing persons have been found and Police have opened an investigation.A Police Dive Unit are tasked in an ongoing search operation.KNYSNA:Jerome Simonis, NSRI Knysna station commander, said:At 08h40, Thursday, 27th September, NSRI Knysna duty crew were activated following eye-witness reports of a body found at the high water mark at a beach near to Featherbed.The sea rescue craft Jaytee IV was launched accompanied by a Police Dive Unit officer and on arrival on the scene the body of an adult male was recovered and confirmed to be deceased and the body of the deceased man was brought to our NSRI rescue base and taken into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services.Police have opened an inquest docket.MILNERTON LAGOON BEACH:A Police Dive Unit have continued in an ongoing search operation for a 20 year old male who remains missing at Milnerton Lagoon Beach after being swept out to sea by rip currents and disappearing beneath the surf on Monday, 24th September.NSRI are tasked to assist the Police Dive Unit in this search during this weekend.See original media statement.....MILNERTON LAGOON BEACH:Quentin Botha, NSRI Table Bay station commander, said:At 15h52, Monday, 24th September, NSRI Table Bay and NSRI Melkbosstrand duty crews were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) following reports of a drowning in progress at Milnerton Lagoon Beach.A local surfer, Chris Poseman, had noticed two young men in the water off-shore of the Lagoon Mouth and appearing to be in difficulty in the surfline.Chris launched into the surf swimming towards the man closest to the shoreline, who was appearing to indicate to be in difficulty, in an attempt to try to rescue the man but before he could reach him the man disappeared beneath the surf.The second male, a 22 year old male, from Belhar, who was further out to sea at the time, was able to get to shore after being assisted by 2 surfers who went to his aid.The 2 surfers had been alerted by members of the public on the beach and they had reached the second man (the 22 year old) and they assisted him safely to shore using a surfboard.The 22 year old male, rescued from the water by surfers, was not injured.NSRI Table Bay launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Day and NSRI Melkbosstrand launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Brenda and their NSRI rescue runner and NSRI rescue vehicles from both sea rescue stations responded together with Marine Law Enforcement, WC Government Health EMS, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services dive unit, the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter and the SA Police Services and local lifeguards responded.On arrival on the scene a search commenced for a 20 year old male, from Belhar, missing in the surf.The search area, in strong rip currents and in strong sea currents, extended between Milnerton Lagoon Beach and Milnerton Beach at Woodbridge Island.Despite an extensive air, sea and shoreline search no sign of the missing 20 year old man has been found and Police have opened an investigation.Police are assisting with family support.A Police Dive Unit are tasked in an ongoing search operation.NSRI commend the local surfer Chris Poseman and the unidentified surfers who went to the aid of the 2 men in difficulty in the surf.GANSBAAI:On Friday, 28th September, NSRI ASR (Airborne Sea Rescue), an SA Air Force 22 Squadron Oryx helicopter and an SA Air Force 35 Squadron Dakota aircraft were tasked by SA Air Force Operations, MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) and TNPA (Transnet National Ports Authority) to continue in an ongoing search operation off-shore of the coast at Quoin Point for 45 year old Melvin Rautenbach, skipper of yacht Silver Girl, who went overboard last night.Despite an extensive air search no sign of the missing skipper has been found.Telkom Maritime Radio Services continue to alert vessels in the area and vessels passing through the area to keep watch.Click on this link for the original media statement.... TO REPORT A SEA RESCUE EMERGENCY DIAL 112 FROM A CELLPHONE
Share
Next Article

Man overboard a sailing yacht missing at sea:

Read More

You may also like

Saving Lives 01
SAFETY ALERT  | Published: 21 January 2022

SEA RESCUE – NSRI Safety Alert:

High temperatures are forecast, by SA Weather Service, for the coming weekend. This coupled with rough seas and high sea swells, due to a recent Southern ocean storm, and the tail end of the recent full moon Spring Tide, NSRI ...

Generic for Vacancy
VACANCIES  | Published: 18 January 2022

Vacancy: Storeman

The main purpose of this role is to ensure correct orders and deliveries of stock, executing purchase orders and ensuring adequate stock levels are maintained. ...

Car Comp image
FUNDRAISING  | Published: 18 January 2022

2021 DOUBLE MITSUBISHI CAR COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED

On 14 January 2022, the V&A Waterfront hosted the nail-biting draw to see which of our three finalists would take home the grand prize TWO Mitsubishi vehicles: A Pajero Sport 2.4 4x4 Automatic and an Eclipse Cross 2.0 CVT worth ...