We are expanding our schools water safety program and have a vacancy for a water safety instructor who will work a half day in the Mthatha area, teaching water safety.
Applicants should be open to the possibility of a full day position, with the potential addition of a half day survival swimming instructor position being added to the water safety classes. Relocation is not offered.
The successful candidate should have a matric certificate and must be fluent in isiXhosa and English. The successful candidate should be able to swim and having a swimming teaching background/qualification will be advantageous. The work is focused on school children but will include speaking engagements / water safety presentations with adults. The successful candidate must be willing to have flexible hours, and to travel regularly within the region.
The applicant should:
- Be passionate about teaching disadvantaged youth and adults about water safety
- Be comfortable with public speaking and be an excellent communicator
- Have own smart phone and access to the internet
- Be computer literate and familiar with Google calendar and Google sheets / forms
- Have a valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Be willing to travel to schools daily, including outlying farm schools and towns
- Be able to swim and be willing to teach children to swim
- Be dedicated, self-motivated, reliable and able to work independently
- Have a police clearance certificate and have had no criminal charges or criminal record against them
The NSRI Water Safety Instructor Job description includes:
- Educating children about water safety, peer rescue and CPR
- Reaching targets in both quantity and quality of our water safety lesson
- Public speaker at schools, targeting mainly primary schools but including high schools, Ante-Natal clinics, religious groups and other adult groups.
- Finding and making appointments to teach our water safety lesson to the children and mothers
- Teaching NSRI’s Survival Swimming to targeted children
- Accurate statistic keeping for both paper and online records
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge on drowning incidents in the area
Reporting to: Regional Water Safety Team Leader / National team leader
Patterson Grading: C1
Remuneration: (2019) R122 900 (half day)
The gross annual includes 13 cheques / pays. Optional deductions include 7% pension, 50% medical aid premium and 1% UIF. Benefits over and above the annual amount include 8% pension, 50% medical aid 1% UIF as well as death and disability cover. Errors & omissions excepted.
NSRI is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Closing date: Friday, 3 January 2020. Start date 1 February 2020 negotiable. Please give clear indication of availability.
A full police clearance and background criminal check will be done on successful candidates prior to employment.
Canvassing by job applicants, or any other person on behalf of a job applicant, for the post is prohibited and evidence thereof will disqualify the applicant’s application for consideration for appointment.
Please send a letter of introduction together with your CV and at least 3 contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line : Water safety instructor :: Mthatha