Vacancy: Sea Rescue Water Safety Instructor : Cape Town
Reporting to: National Water Safety Team LeaderPatterson Grading: C1-1Remuneration: R130 273 (half day) (2019)We are expanding our schools water safety program and have a vacancy for a water safety instructor who will work a half day (5 hours a day during school hours) in the Cape Town area
(focusing on Mitchells Plain, Strandfontein, Grassy Park, Ottery and Philipi) teaching water safety. Students targeted will be foundation phase, primary school children, high school learners and adults. Instructors will be given guidance in what age groups to target in their area. Relocation is not offered.At Sea Rescue we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including, but not limited to, a criminal records disclosure.The successful candidate should have a matric certificate and must be fluent in Afrikaans
and English. It will be an advantage if the candidate has experience in teaching swimming to children. The work is focused during school hours, although may sometimes be out of these hours. The successful candidate must be willing to have flexible hours, and to travel regularly within the city of Cape Town region and :The applicant should:
- Be passionate about teaching disadvantaged youth and adults about water safety and CPR
- Have a positive outlook and able to create an atmosphere of fun when teaching.
- Be comfortable with public speaking and be an excellent communicator
- Have own smart phone (which must be maintained in good working order) and access to the internet
- Be computer literate and familiar with Google sheets
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Be willing to travel to schools daily, including outlying farm schools and towns
- Be able to swim and be willing to teach children to swim
- Be dedicated, confident, self-motivated, reliable, versatile, able to work independently and accurately report on lessons presented
- Have a police clearance certificate
- Agree to a criminal background check
- Sign an affidavit declaring that he / she has no past or present criminal charges or convictions
- Be prepared, from time to time, to work on a Sea Rescue project in cities / towns / areas outside of the one to which you have been assigned.
The NSRI Water Safety Instructor Job description includes:
- Educating children about water safety, peer rescue and CPR
- Reaching targets for people taught in respect of numbers of days in the classroom, number of lessons and number of children taught water safety lesson
- Public speaker at schools, targeting primary schools, high schools, adult groups as well as Ante-Natal clinics amongst other .
- Be capable of finding and making appointments at schools, social groups, sport groups, religious groups and clinics to teach our water safety lessons to children and adults.
- Accurate statistic keeping and reporting of both paper and online records.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge on drowning incidents in the area
NSRI is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview
. Closing date: Friday, 20 September 2019.
Start date 01 November 2019 negotiable. Please give clear indication of availability.The gross annual includes 13 cheques / pays. 7% pension and 50% medical aid premium are optional and 1% UIF will be deducted. Benefits over and above the annual amount can include 8% pension, 50% medical aid 1% UIF as well as death and disability cover. Errors & omissions excepted.Canvassing by job applicants, or any other person on behalf of a job applicant, for the post is prohibited and evidence thereof will disqualify the applicant’s application for consideration for appointment.Please send a letter of introduction together with your CV and 3 contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line : Cape Town Water safety instructor – Your name