VACANCY: Emergency Operations Centre Operator
PATERSON GRADING: C2 1
REMUNERATION: Gross Annual – R 237 826*
NUMBER OF POSTS: 5
- Sea Rescue is looking to appoint a team of Emergency Control Room Call Takers (five posts).
- This is a shift based role, involving both day and night shifts of 12 hour durations. 07h00 to 19h00 & 19h00 to 07h00).
- Reporting to the Operations Manager, the incumbents will be responsible for:
- Receiving emergency calls from public nationwide, and transferring them to the relevant NSRI rescue station, or (appropriate emergency service) as effectively as possible. This includes monitoring public tracking systems for emergency notifications.
- Providing operational support to NSRI stations during operations and activities (monitoring communications, logging / tracking / reporting, etc.), assisting stations to effectively perform rescues.
- Conducting administrative tasks. Data capture, data processing, etc. will be a large component of the job.
The ideal candidates must have:
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written language (preferably multilingual). Ability to type and capture correct details quickly.
- Good administration skills
- Computer skills (the job involves extensive use of computer programmes for both operational and administrative aspects). Must be IT literate, and comfortable learning and performing in new software programmes and systems.
- Sea Rescue (preferably) / emergency services knowledge and skills (e.g. radio protocols, navigation ability, etc.)
- Geographical knowledge of the SA coastline and waterbodies.
- An ability to learn quickly and respond to un-programmed situations (multi-task).
- An ability to deal with pressure, stay cool, as well as be able to keep busy during quiet times.
- An innovative attitude to researching background information required for input to operational requirements during calls.
Candidate would ideally have the following:
- Relevant Rescue environment / emergency control room experience is advantageous. (Sea Rescue, Fire services, emergency medical services, etc.)
- Character traits should include enthusiasm, integrity, patience, self-control, loyalty, confidentiality and a positive outlook on life.
Please submit a CV together with a letter of motivation and three contactable references to email@example.com
Applications close on 20 March 2019. Appointment Date: 1 May 2019. Cape Town based positions, relocation expenses not offered.
NSRI is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
*The Gross Annual Amount includes 13 cheques / pays. Deductions that come off this include 7% pension, 50% of the monthly medical aid premium and 1 % UIF. Benefits over and above the annual amount include 8% pension, 50% medical aid 1 % UIF, as well as death and disability cover. Errors & Omissions Excepted. Overtime pay and Inconvenient work allowances are not offered.