Three men survive night at sea

Nsri Simon’s Town Spirit of Safmarine III towing casualty boat Zeek to Simon’s Town. Picture by Nsri Kommetjie


Darren Zimmerman, NSRI Simon’s Town station commander, said:

At 07h46, Friday, 13th April, NSRI Simon’s Town duty crew were activated following reports from the charter fishing boat Tyler reporting to have happened upon the 21 foot capsized boat Zeek, with 3 men sitting on the upturned hull, 2 nautical miles South of Cape Point.

Tyler, a 30 foot charter ski-boat, had departed Gordon’s Bay this morning with charter fishing guests onboard when they were heading towards fishing grounds they came across the capsized Zeek.

The crew of Tyler had taken all 3 adult casualty males, from Hout Bay, off the upturned hull, reporting them to be severely hypothermic, and they were headed towards Simon’s Town.

NSRI Simon’s Town launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Safmarine III to head out to rendezvous with Tyler.

Telkom Maritime Radio Services broadcast an all ships alert Maritime Navigational warning to warn vessels in the area of the capsized boat adrift at sea 2 nautical miles South of Cape Point.

Our NSRI sea rescue craft rendezvoused with Tyler off-shore of Simon’s Town. The casualty crew were transferred onto our sea rescue craft and they were brought into Simon’s Town harbour being treated by our NSRI medics for non-fatal drowning symptoms and hypothermia.

CMR (Cape Medical Response) met us on arrival in Simon’s Town harbour and all 3 men were taken into the care of CMR paramedics and they have been transported to hospital by CMR ambulance in stable conditions (walking wounded).

They reported that they had departed from Millers Point late yesterday afternoon headed to Hout Bay to test motors that have recently been overhauled when they were capsized by waves at about 19h00 last night.

Their capsize emergency kit was lost overboard when they capsized and they were unable to raise the alarm and they were unable to attract any attention from passing boats during the night because they had no emergency signalling devices, that had been lost overboard with their capsize kit. They were able to huddle on the upturned hull of the boat during the night while they drifted before being spotted and were then rescued early this morning by the crew of Tyler. They were all wearing life-jackets.

NSRI Kommetjie duty crew have been activated and have launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of the Vines to go to the scene to secure the capsized casualty craft.

The NSRI Simon’s Town sea craft Spirit of Safmarine III and the NSRI Kommetjie sea rescue craft Spirit of the Vines are on the scene attempting to right the casualty craft which will be towed to Millers Point or to Simon’s Town.

The owner of the boat has come forward and he is delivering fresh clothing to his crew in hospital and he will bring the boat trailer to recover his boat.

The crew of Tyler are commended for their assistance this morning.



3 Responses to “Three men survive night at sea”

  1. Mike
    13. Apr, 2018 at 13:34 #

    Surprised that the owner of the boat didn’t raise the alarm that they were overdue. They were extremely lucky. Well done to all involved.

  2. Jeremy
    16. Apr, 2018 at 07:42 #

    Agree! Find that very strange as well.

  3. Francois
    16. Apr, 2018 at 17:13 #

    Chances are good they were poaching

Leave a Reply