Boat capsized and teenager rescued in 2 separate incidents


Andre Fletcher, NSRI Durban deputy station commander, said:

At 09h55, Sunday, 15th April, NSRI Durban duty crew were activated following reports of a boat capsized off Beachwood Golf Club, about 2.5 nautical miles North of the Durban Port.

The sea rescue craft Megan II was launched and eThekwini Fire and Rescue Services and Police Search and Rescue responded.

On arrival on the scene, Durban lifeguards were already in attendance and the 3 meter Catamaran ski-boat Wet Spot was ashore in the capsized position on the beach and the 2 crew, local men aged 28 and 32, were safely ashore, uninjured.

It is believed that their boat capsized in the surf while fishing at the backline.

Our sea rescue craft towed the casualty boat out to sea where she was righted behind the breaker line and a tow-line was rigged.

Durban lifeguards, using a lifeguard jet-ski, brought both the casualties to our sea rescue craft off-shore and they were taken on board. We towed their casualty craft to Vetches Beach slip-way where their craft was recovered and no further assistance was required.


Jerome Simonis, NSRI Knysna station commander, said:

At 13h04, Sunday, 15th April, NSRI Knysna were activated following reports of a teenager injured on rocks at Brenton-On-Sea.

A 13 year old male, from Plettenberg Bay, had fallen about 3 meters onto rocks at Die Blokke, Brenton-On-Sea, while fishing with friends.

The sea rescue craft Colorpress Rescuer and Jaytee IV were launched and on arrival on the scene NSRI rescue swimmers were deployed into the surf to swim ashore. They were able to reach the teenager on the rocks and begin medical treatment for lacerations to both ankles.

WC Government Health EMS and ER24 ambulance services responded and they stood by on the land side as the location of the teenager was not accessible from the mainland.

The WC Government Health EMS Metro Control activated their EMS/AMS rescue helicopter.

The rescue helicopter hovered on the rocks on the scene and the teenager, bandaged and secured, was loaded into the helicopter and airlifted to the landing zone on mainland. He has been transported to hospital by an ER24 ambulance in a stable condition (for sutures to lacerations to his ankles).

NSRI rescue swimmers were airlifted to the mainland by the rescue helicopter.



Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Boat capsized and teenager rescued in 2 separate incidents”

    16. Apr, 2018 at 21:07 #

    Y’all doing such a great job hey…I really love it and I wish that you could let me to volunteer or something

    16. Apr, 2018 at 21:09 #

    I’m not interested in income. Because I’m a full time student at sa maritime,but I would like to volunteer on my spare time

    • Paula
      17. Apr, 2018 at 07:46 #

      Hi Thabani. Check out the list of all our rescue bases and see which one is closest to you. Give them a shout and chat to them about volunteering. They’ll give you all the info you’ll need.

Leave a Reply