Paragliding accident, fatal drowning and medical assistance


Matthys Koch, NSRI Lambert’s Bay station commander, said:

At 15h30, Friday, 02nd March, NSRI Lambert’s Bay duty crew were activated following a request for assistance from 2 fishermen on a Crayfish Bakkie (small open boat) reporting motor mechanical failure off Muisbosskerm.

The sea rescue craft Douglas Murray was launched and on arrival on the scene, 3.5 nautical miles from our sea rescue base, we found the 2 fishermen safe. A towline was rigged and we towed them safely to Lambert’s Bay harbour without incident and no further assistance was required.


Mike Shaw, NSRI Mykonos duty controller, said:

At 14h53, NSRI Mykonos duty crew were activated to respond to a paraglider accident at Spreeuwalle, near to Saldanha Bay.

The sea rescue craft Gemini Rescuer II and Jacqueline were launched.  On arrival on scene NSRI medics hiked up a sand dune to reach a seriously injured male paraglider and medical treatment was initiated.

An Atlantic Medical Response paramedic was transported on our sea rescue craft to the scene.

The AMS/EMS Skymed rescue helicopter was activated by Metro EMS Control.  On the arrival of the helicopter, the patient was secured onto a stretcher and hiked to where the helicopter was able to land.  He was airlifted to hospital in a stable but serious condition.

Then at 17h30 Metro Control requested our assistance where an adult man sustained suspected spinal injuries at Marks Bar, Langebaan Lagoon, after reportedly diving into shallow water and sustaining injuries.  Our NSRI medics stabilised the man on scene and Atlantic Medical Response was summoned. He was transported to hospital in a stable condition.

Earlier, at 14h47, NSRI Mykonos were activated to respond to St Helena Bay following reports of a downing incident, but prior to dispatching resources, Police confirmed that sadly the body of a man had been recovered and no further NSRI assistance was required.

NSRI Mykonos Gemini Rescuer II.


Alan Stilwell, NSRI Port Edward duty controller, said:

At 08h00, Saturday, 03rd March, NSRI Port Edward medical crew responded to a Port Edward residence to medically assist an 82 year old woman who was not feeling well. Our medics rendered medical assistance and summoned an ambulance.  KZN Private ambulance services transported the lady to hospital in a stable condition.


Tags: , ,

3 Responses to “Paragliding accident, fatal drowning and medical assistance”

  1. Lynn-Marie de Blocq
    04. Mar, 2018 at 21:41 #

    The seriously injured paraglider is my brother. Thank you so much for your efforts and for helping him. He is recovering in hospital and we are eternally grateful.We had no idea that you were involved. Thank you so much.

  2. Bernice skinner
    04. Mar, 2018 at 22:26 #

    Thank you so much to all involved in assisting my brother after his paragliding accident. We are forever grateful to you all.

  3. Catherine Wijnberg
    11. Mar, 2018 at 07:28 #

    Thank you. Your team were fantastic. It was such a relief to get the medical help he needed while waiting for the helicopter. The overall wait from accident to airlift was just under 3 and half hours so your early arrival was critical.

Leave a Reply