Yacht runs aground:

At 06h15 on Sunday the 4th of August NSRI East London volunteers were activated following reports of the 36 foot yacht BOUNDLESS reporting to have run aground at Cebe, approximately 450 km by road from East London, on the Transkei Coast.

Geoff McGregor, NSRI East London station commander, said: “The crew, a husband and wife, Graham and Sheryl Anley, and their Jack-Russel dog Rosie, all wearing life-jackets (the dog wearing a specially tailored dog life-jacket which has its own emergency strobe light attached), had managed to swim to shore safely after their boat hit a reef in the early hours of this morning and they raised the alarm after reaching shore.

“Graham is an NSRI Plettenberg Bay volunteer.”

“We dispatched an EC Government Health EMS rescue helicopter and on arrival on-scene they found the crew and dog safely ashore and not injured and the yacht severely damaged and high and dry on the high water mark.

“Sherryl and Rosie were airlifted by the EMS rescue helicopter to our East London sea rescue base and a family back-packers lodge near to the scene are assisting Graham.

“The EMS rescue helicopter crew had assisted to secure the yacht to the shore and personal belongings have been recovered from the yacht prior to departing for East London.

“Efforts will be made by the couple to to arrange to salvage what they can of their yacht.

“Sheryl and Rosie will return to the scene today and they will be assisted by the family of the back-packers lodge and take a few days to assess the situation and salvage what they can of the yacht.

“Graham and Sheryl have respectively requested not to be contacted by media and NSRI will field any questions.

“Graham told us they were headed on a 3 month break to Madagascar. Off Transkei they ran into very rough weather with wave heights of 7 meters which, despite their lowering sails and going onto motor power, eventually dragged their boat ashore and onto a reef.
“As the incident happened Graham sent a Mayday radio distress call and activated the EPIRB (Global Positioning Distress beacon) but they were immediately forced to abandon ship and he first swam Rosie ashore safely before returning for his wife whose safety line had snagged on the steering gear.
“Once safely ashore he raised the alarm by cell-phone.
“Graham admits it is humbling, after 22 years as an NSRI volunteer, to have the shoe on the other foot and need to be rescued.”

NSRI have expressed our delight that they are safe.
This photograph is available from the Sea Rescue Flickr page for media use.

The Boundless aground at

The Boundless aground at Cebe.

Tags: ,

5 Responses to “Yacht runs aground:”

  1. Alan Middleton
    05. Aug, 2013 at 14:02 #

    So sad, I am heartbroken for Graham and Cheryl, Boundless was previously owned by my uncle, Dr. Arthur Middleton of East London, who had spent many years re-designing and refitting Boundless for a voyage never to be made, due to poor health.
    And now for this to happen to the new owners after months of hard work and all the costs involved… I just don’t know what to say except hang in there and be grateful to be alive.
    Best wishes…
    Alan middleton

    • Don Darkes
      07. Aug, 2013 at 08:05 #

      I knew “Alan” as Arthur Middleton and spent some time with him in EL before and after we were shipwrecked in Madagascar. I know how much he loved Boundless and I appreciate how much time energy and love Graham and Cheryl must have put in to restore her after Arthur made the great passage.Graham and Cheryl- be grateful that you ( and the dog) escaped unscathed.

  2. Hedwig Matthews
    06. Aug, 2013 at 09:41 #

    My late husband John and I have sailed with Graham as the skipper on our yacht thousands of miles and always felt in safe hands. Graham was a most experienced yachtsman and Cheryl’s seamiles were starting to add up. It was one of their dreams to take time off and sail their own yacht. Whilst now the outlook is a little bleak, never give up. We (Joachim, Herta & Monika’s family) are very, very glad that you are both safe – not forgetting Rosie.
    Lots of love
    Hedi Matthews

  3. Michele Batstone
    06. Aug, 2013 at 19:09 #

    Such a sad ending to what would have been a wonderful adventure – so glad you and Cheryl (and Rosie of course!) are safe though; and it just goes to show what a grand master the sea/ocean is! Boundless could not have been in better hands from what I’ve known about Graham as a yachtsman over the years, plus all those NSRI ‘sea miles’! I did have a smile when I read that Graham brought Rosie ashore before Cheryl!

  4. Ed Fox
    01. Nov, 2017 at 20:55 #

    I sailed that yacht from Cape Town when Arthur became its new proud owner, We stopped off at Mosel Bay and Port Elizabeth on the way back to East London, with mainly crew from my yacht Guinevere,
    Such sad memories,,,,,

Leave a Reply